aios-scientificcommittee.org
August 30, 2014, 02:09:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dear Seniors / Colleagues

This forum has been disseminating information for the past 6 years. The amount of scientific deliberations done by this forum is immense.

To increase the user base and user friendliness we have decided to migrate our forums to LinkedIn, harnessing the power of social media.  With this shift, we are sure that the members would find easier to post their queries and share their views.

The existing posts in this forum shall remain for the users to view anytime.

To visit the new forum, click here

Dr. Lalit Verma
Chairman, Scientific Committee - AIOS

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Query No: 177 - BEST PHACO MACHINE FOR BEGINNER  (Read 4895 times)
admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: September 19, 2009, 01:05:28 PM »

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHICH IS THE BEST PHACO MACHINE FOR BEGINNER GOOD MANUAL SICS SURGEON ?

DR. PIYUSH SHAH

Response
No:1

Dear Dr. Piyush

Answer to your question in a nutshell is the machine which you can afford. It is not necessary to start with a lower end machine not it is mandatory to have the highest end machine. Make sure about the local support of that particular brand. Nidek is a sturdy machine, a workhorse and no nonsense machine. If you want something more fancy then go for Compact Sovereign or a Laurrete from Alcon. In high end machines there is no dearth. Master the technique and the machine will be your slave and not vice versa.

I hope this helps

Dr. Tejas D. Shah
Amdavad Eye Laser Hospitals Pvt. Ltd
Good Bye Glasses Laser Centre
Ahmedabad, India

No:2

Hi Dr PIYUSH

Irrespective of the machine,treching and dividing the nucleus are the key steps  if you are in the converting stage. I do agree some machines offer a comfort and saftey zone for the surgeon.But in the early stages you wont know what is what.I feel any phaco machine will do in the early stage , ...and...cheaper ones are fine for that pupose...!

the comfort is defenitely good when you are workking with a Laurate ( Alcon) as the chamber stability  is superb..there is no question of surge at all.In your case as you are an experienced sics surgeon and planning to convert I recommend to buy that  and keep for long term... it is a good option....but little too coastly...!

Cheers & all the best,

Dr Ashad Sivaraman.

No:3

Dr. Piyush,

Alcon Universal II is the best phaco machine for beginners, It maintains the chamber well, as it is having peristaltic pump, One can get sufficient time to understand what is going on and to take decisions within time.

D.Ramesh B.Bobbili

No:4

Actually one requires a higher end machine in the beginning  of practice for better performance and safety , and once you are an expert you can manage with any machine but affordability is a curtailing factor. Alcon Laureate is definitely a v good machine but the only problem is recurrent cost of cassette. Its difficult in your initial years of practice to maintain viability . so pls take care of that .Alcon Universal II is no more available. Best  mid way option is to go for a basic imported /reputed machine .I request our seniors members to guide further.

Dr Ashish Mahobia M.S.,F.R.F.,F.N.B.
Sai baba Eye hospital & retina centre. Near chhoti line ,Fafadih , Raipur , Chattisgarh,India.PIN 492001

No:5

My personal experience with OERTLI CATAREX has been very satisfying for the last 31/2 years. There are issues with after sales service from the selling agency. Advantages of this particular machine been that it is very user freindly, has all the features required for handling majority of grades of cataract & is compact(portable).

Dr.Mandar Paranjpe
MBBS, DOMS

Expert Comment:

Dear Dr Shah
For any machine the factors to be considered are the affordibility and the back up service . if affordibility is not a problem i would suggest
a)peristaltic pump-INFINITY by ALCON
b)ventury pump - MILLENIUM by BAUSCH AND LOMB

Regards             

Dr Mohan Rajan
Rajan Eye Care Hospital,Chennai. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: